You are here

Parent Volunteers

Opportunities at Upper Sumas

Interested in becoming a parent volunteer?

Below are some of the volunteer opportunities we have at our school:

  • Parent Advisory Council Executive 
  • Classroom Volunteer (reading with children, helping on field trips etc.)
  • Noon Hour Supervisor (paid position)
  • Driving for field trips

Please check out our School District's Administrative Policy 416-Volunteers.

Criminal Record Check Process:

ANY volunteer working near or around children is required to have a criminal record check and vulnerable sector search (valid for 5 years) completed through the Ministry of Justice PRIOR to volunteering. This process applies to ALL volunteers regardless of of the amount of time spent volunteering. 

If you are interested in becoming a parent volunteer or have any questions, please call or come by our school office and we will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have and give you a volunteer package to fill out (see the attached volunteer information notice below). Forms need to be completed each school year with some every calendar year.

There are 2 options for processing your criminal record check:

CRC Process: Option 1
Volunteers go to the School Board Office reception desk to complete the manual CRC form. You must bring 2 pieces of ID (primary and secondary requirements attached below) to verify yourself. Once the form is complete, the District's authorized contact submits the form to the CRRP for processing. The District's authorized contact receives the CRC results back from the CRRP and will advise our school of the results. 

CRC Process: Option 2
Online process. Volunteers may complete the online CRC form rather than come to the School Board Office reception desk. Volunteers will need to access the following website: and will need to use the following access code: 5EU2ZSHRB5 to register online.

Please note:

  1. To be eligible to use the online process, volunteers must:
    ​a) Have a credit history of at least six (6) months;
    b) Must have been residing in Canada for two (2) years or longer;
    c) Must correctly answer a set of security questions unique to their own credit history;
    d) Must have a current Canadian address 

*If a volunteer is unable to complete the online application, they will need to come to the School Board Office reception desk to complete the manual CRC form

Parent Drivers

Occasionally, parents will be asked to drive students to events, such as field trips, sport events etc. Parents who are able to drive other students must be district approved drivers.

To become a district approved driver you will need to:

  1. Present your original driver's license and insurance papers for the school to photocopy
  2. Get your free ICBC drivers abstract that can be filled out online and then brought to the school
    (or you can call ICBC at 1.800.950.1498 and have it faxed to our school at 604.850.7832)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our school at 604.852.3900.